5 Things To Look for in an Online Yoga Teacher Training Program
By: Lindsay Miller
If you’ve decided to take your first yoga teacher training, it can be overwhelming to wade through all the options. Use this guide to help find the best training for you! Here are five things to look for as you make this important choice.
- Structure and Flexibility. Wait, isn’t the whole point of an online training that you can learn however works best for you? You know better than anyone that life gets busy. A well structured program will help you get your best work done. A program that has components such as live classes or discussion board posts increases accountability. But also look for something that allows you to work within a flexible time frame. Finally, make sure you will have real advisors to talk to whenever you need them.
- Strong Community. One reason people take a yoga teacher training is to learn with like-minded individuals and make new connections. There will always be days when you’ll need support. A good program needs to have an easy way to connect students to teachers and peers. A solid online program will use moderated forums or discussion groups and live stream class options.
- Get Feedback. You may have taken online classes before, but an online yoga teacher training seems like a different thing altogether. How can you get the feedback you need to make sure you’re properly aligned in your poses? How can you improve your teaching in an empty room? A good online teacher training will have live stream interactive practices and video assignments to help review your yoga teaching skills. Good instructors will give you clear and compassionate feedback to help you become a great teacher.
- Skilled Teachers. There’s nothing worse than listening to dry presentations or trying to stay focused during boring practices. Look at the bios of the teachers for the training. Are they interesting people? Do they have extensive practice experience and expertise that you connect with? Entertaining and knowledgeable teachers make your experience enjoyable and worthwhile.
- A Career Path. What will your online training prepare you for? Quality schools have obtained special permission to issue certification using online-only programs. This means an online training will satisfy the requirements for the Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200, 300) Certifications and it can be part of your coursework for the International Yoga Alliance (IAYT) Yoga Therapist Certification. Yoga Therapy is a popular emerging field that uses the tools of yoga alongside traditional western interventions to support clients in growth and healing. There aren’t many schools that are accredited with the IAYT, so make sure the teacher training school you choose includes this feature. IAYT accredited schools give you the option of furthering your study and becoming a part of the highest level for yoga professionals!
It’s time. You are ready. You know teaching will help you and those around you.
Make sure you check out one of the top-rated trainings in the world at Inbody Academy.
Applications can be submitted now and a certain number of students are accepted into the program each month.