Top 6 Things to Avoid When Starting a Yoga Teacher Training
By: Lindsay Miller
We finally made it to 2022! But for most people, stress levels haven’t gotten much better.
So what can you do? How can you help not only yourself but other people you care about? You know all the amazing things yoga can do for you. And really the whole world could use yoga, more than ever right now.
If you want to really make a difference in the world, and do something you love with your life, now is the time to become a certified yoga teacher!
But where do you start? Before you dive into a yoga teacher training you should know what to look for and above all some things to be aware of and avoid.
Avoid these top 6 mistakes that aspiring yoga teachers make when starting a yoga teacher training:
- Thinking you will have a magical window of time that opens up “sometime in the future.” After educating thousands of yoga teachers we can tell you that the “perfect time” doesn’t exist. And if it does, it often gets interrupted. If you feel called to teach yoga, trust that. The best time is NOW.
- Worrying that you need more experience before teaching. While we do recommend that you have at least a year of practice, any legitimate teacher training program offers a studio component where you can get unlimited practice. You learn a lot as you teach. And who doesn’t love unlimited access to yoga classes!?
- Overthinking (aka Analysis Paralysis). With all the options out there, it’s easy to get mired down in choices when it comes to your teacher training. Do you want online? Local (which is probably still online because of COVID)? Do you want a certain tradition? Price point? Delivery format? We see potential students waste years mulling over the options. Decide on your top two priorities and start reaching out to programs that are a good fit.
- Diving into the first and cheapest training. We know we just told you not to overthink, but this is important! The saying “you get what you pay for” is especially true when it comes to Yoga Teacher Training. Generally the less you pay, the less support and expertise you’ll be getting.
- Imposter syndrome or “I don’t think I’m good enough.” You’re about to click the ‘Apply Now’ button but then you think “I don’t know if I am ready. Maybe…” We’ve all been there and felt the same way! We totally understand. That’s why once you take the first step, you’ll find a warm and supportive environment full of instructors and fellow students ready to cheer you on. It’s hard to decide to follow your passion, dreams and intuition. But the good news is that when you connect with your path you immediately get support from people just like you who are following their dreams. You just need to take the first step.
- Don’t feel overwhelmed. The best yoga teacher trainings are designed by experts to be simple and intuitive. If you just take it one class at a time, you will succeed. If you set aside 30-60 minutes a day you will be a certified Yoga Teacher before you know it! Don’t let the big picture distract you. You’ll build momentum as you go!
Yoga is life-changing. We know you want to help others. And you have something unique and important to share.
Use our top 6 list to decide on the best teacher training program for you. It’ll take some determination but you’ll quickly find yourself having a life-changing experience.
And if you’re looking for a program that’s flexible and supportive, with the best world- class experts, go here to learn more about the Inbody Academy Yoga Teacher Training. We’d love to have you join us!